Posted on 08/18/2015
Leveraging a barcoding system to track your assets can offer many benefits to your organization.
For one, it's easier for your technicians to track asset data within your computerized maintenance management solution (CMMS) because technicians just scan the barcode, then the system automatically displays the information they need to complete the work order.
In addition, a CMMS solution can help minimize data entry errors and improve your asset reporting, which is especially important with Life Safety Equipment.
Barcoding can improve the quality of information on adverse event reports for medical devices, which allows for quicker identification, location, and preventive maintenance or repair.
Here are just a few ways that barcoding can be used in your hospital:
- Automatic Work Order Completion. With the scan and go feature, a technician can scan an asset barcode and if using a solution like TMS, the "My Work Orders" feature will walk them through completing a work order.
- Charging Materials and Parts Inventory. During the completion of a work order, technicians can scan a barcode and charge materials used for that work order. At the same time, the parts inventory is updated to reflect the usage. Organizations can now capture accurate materials and maintain accurate inventory records.
- Life Safety Equipment Inspections. Healthcare organizations know how important it is to track the inspections of their Life Safety Equipment. By quickly scanning a barcode on the asset, the technician can be taken through the inspection steps quickly and efficiently.
- Patient Room Inspections. Once a room has been cleaned and is ready for the next patient, housekeeping can scan the barcode associated with the room to indicate that the room is ready for occupancy.
- Security. Maintain an accurate account of all your assets. Always know where your assets are, so they can be located quickly when needed or kept secure when in storage.
- Task Readings. Associate a barcode with a particular set of task readings. When the technician scans the barcode, they receive the relevant task readings for that asset.
Learn how you can improve technician productivity in our free eBook, “5 Ways to Increase Technician Productivity.”