Why Facilities and Space Management Is Important in Education
Competing against a strong economy and declining demographics, colleges and universities had 224,000 fewer enrolled undergraduates in 2017 than in 2016. With numbers heading in the wrong direction, Moody’s Investors Service recently downgraded their 2018 outlook for the higher education industry from stable to negative.1
These declining trends are forcing higher education institutions to reduce costs and to make hard financial choices. Moody’s expects at least 15% of universities to cut their costs because of low revenue growth and increasing expenses. In addition, they forecast a decrease in research funding, tuition, and state appropriations.
Schools are becoming more creative in their efforts to increase the flow of applications, acceptances, and tuition checks.
- Personalized home visits.
- In-person mascot meet & greet events.
- School apparel and merchandise for prospective students.
Another key way leading colleges and universities attract and retain students is through well-maintained facilities. But, how can that be done without compromising data integrity or budgets?
Accruent’s physical resource management solutions help facilities professionals at colleges and universities ensure that their facilities are aligned to support the school’s mission. Designed for educational institutions, our cloud-based solutions help schools reduce costs, optimize maintenance and gain efficiencies.
Accruent customers can:
- Reduce time spent entering and updating work orders and asset data using a mobile app, so their teams can focus on providing safe, clean, and attractive facilities, which is imperative for attracting and retaining students.
- Automate preventive, corrective, and predictive maintenance processes to help manage and monitor facilities costs.
- Improve efficiency and reduce the time it takes to complete work requests.
We also understand that it is important for colleges and universities to utilize their spaces appropriately. Without a centralized space management system, it is too easy to overbook rooms, leave other rooms vacant, and lose track of all usage.
Accruent’s space management solution helps space managers and facilities managers leverage technology to centralize space management and increase efficiency. With our software, you can uncover additional square footage and manage space and classroom allocations. You can track and update physical space information at multiple levels in the location hierarchy, providing visibility into the specific use of spaces across your organization.