LifeSouth Community Blood Centers
Saving Time and Money with Improved Maintenance of Critical Medical Equipment
Annual Blood Donations
LifeSouth Community Blood Centers (LifeSouth) is a non-profit community blood bank serving more than 100 hospitals in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Headquartered in Gainesville, Florida, the organization is committed to meeting the blood supply needs of hospitals and patients by providing the highest quality blood components and services.
LifeSouth has hundreds of assets scattered throughout 20 different branches in three states. The non-profit maintains roughly 100 fleet vehicles, HVAC and plumbing systems, and equipment for processing blood donations such as centrifuges, incubator agitators, and plasma refrigerators. In the past, these assets were tracked with pencil and paper, which made it difficult for maintenance staff across locations to keep up with all the work needed.
- Difficulty tracking hundreds of assets using a paper-based maintenance system
- Risk of serious breakdowns of mission-critical equipment
- Challenges maintaining a safe and sterile environment for transport of critical materials
LifeSouth implemented Maintenance Connection throughout the organization to track repairs and manage ongoing and preventative maintenance, all in accordance with industry standards and FDA equipment regulations. The CMMS helps ensure LifeSouth’s critical assets are kept in top shape and readily available at a moment’s notice so team members can address maintenance issues before breakdowns occur.
- Move from paper-based to digital recordkeeping
- Up-to-date tracking for regulatory compliance
- Preventative maintenance for vehicle fleet and critical equipment in three states
Maintenance Connection has helped LifeSouth save significant time and money by ensuring maintenance is preventive and well managed. Vehicle repair and other asset maintenance costs have dropped as a result of increased visibility into exactly which items need maintenance and when. In addition, Maintenance Connection enables the organization to better maintain compliance with FDA and other equipment regulations.
- Increased preventive maintenance leading to cost savings
- A more mobile and productive maintenance team
- Improved ability to meet compliance regulations
- Required maintenance needs met more consistently