Healthcare Asset Management
Biomedical & Clinical Engineering | Facilities Management & Plant Operations | Supply Chain
Improve operational efficiency, regulatory compliance, satisfaction, and the quality of patient care. Drive gains in performance and availability of healthcare assets including facility and biomedical equipment.
Transformative Healthcare CMMS & Asset Management Software
Accruent’s intelligence for the built environment aims to support and healthcare service providers. The goal is to help these organizations reduce costs and improve operational efficiency, regulatory compliance, employee satisfaction and quality of patient care across the continuum of care. This is accomplished through complete asset lifecycle data & insight tools including capital planning, modern healthcare CMMS and HTM solutions, medical device cyber security IoT environmental monitoring and medical equipment reliability data insights to improve the total cost of ownership.
Concern: Find the Right Solution to Your Healthcare Asset Management Concerns
Improve the Delivery and Quality of Patient Care
High-quality, effective patient care requires that organizations master a lot of things behind-the-scenes, including ongoing compliance with ever-changing laws and regulations, capital planning, budgeting, inventory management and real-time asset tracking.
An asset management software designed for the healthcare industry can help, allowing you to:
- Maintain ongoing compliance with OSHA, TJC and other regulatory bodies.
- Drive down costs.
- Effectively track medical devices and decrease downtime.
- Understand what is going on within your Environment of Care (EoC) when it comes to fire monitoring, emergency power, air management and water management.
Resources for Healthcare Asset Management:
Moody's - Not-for-profit and public healthcare - US: Medians - Regional hospital medians mirror stress seen in national trends
2020 Healthcare Financial Outlook, Page 4, Kaufman, Hall & Associates, LLC
Moody's: Outlook negative for nonprofit hospitals
Reduce Asset Downtime and Increase Medical Equipment Reliability
In the healthcare environment, a patient’s health and safety depends largely upon flawless asset operations. Accruent’s healthcare CMMS systems can reduce asset downtime and increase equipment reliability by offering:
- Actionable insights: Accruent Data Insights provides users with real-world insight into their clinical and biomedical equipment, including metrics like total cost of ownership, real-world performance, estimated lifespan and more.
- Work order management: The right healthcare CMMS can replace your disparate systems and automate processes to effectively track and manage work orders, supplies and workflows.
- Increased compliance: Use healthcare asset management software to ensure compliance with OSHA, the EPA and The Joint Commission.
- Real-time equipment monitoring: Real-time monitoring will reduce unexpected breakdowns or delays.
- Preventive maintenance: This will maximize reliability and extend the life of mission-critical assets.
Maximize Medical Device Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity is an omnipresent concern in the healthcare environment: in 2019 alone, the healthcare sector saw 41.4 million patient records breached, fueled by a 49 percent increase in hacking – and this number is only expected to rise. A healthcare asset management system can help users fight cybersecurity threats by:
- Allowing IT to analyze and report against all medical devices, network data and software.
- Letting you automate workflows unique to your organization when potential security risks or gaps are found.
- Integrating with network monitoring tools. Helping you automate security processes.
- Providing the transparency needed to quickly identify risks and prevent a security breach.
Resources for Medical Device Cybersecurity:
Phishing attacks targeted COVID-19 vaccine supply chain, IBM says
Connected medical devices are exposing healthcare systems to cyber-attacks — Why ignoring clinical asset management is no longer an option
What Hospitals Should Know About the Ryuk Ransomware Threat
Simplify Your Lease Administration & Accounting for Healthcare Equipment & Real Estate Leases
Equipment and real estate lease information in a healthcare environment can be complex and difficult to manage, particularly if an organization is working with manual, paper-based systems. Automating these systems with Lease Administration & Lease Accounting software can streamline the process, helping organizations access real-time lease information, remain compliant with regulating bodies, and make cost-effective personnel and asset decisions.
Resources for Equipment & Real Estate Leases Accounting:
Fight Shrinking Hospital Margins and Improve Healthcare Capital Planning
Prior to COVID-19, hospital operating margins were at 1.7 percent, well below the 2.5 percent considered sustainable, according to Modern Healthcare. During the second quarter of 2020, average hospital margins fell 150 percent to negative 3 percent (and that was with federal government financial assistance). Effective asset management can help reduce costs by:
- Automating preventive maintenance and alternative equipment maintenance plans.
- Consolidating HFM, HTM, supply chain and IT departments.
- Helping users manage equipment spend and improve margins using real-world data.
- Allowing your team to identify trends and plan future expenditures.
- Improving Equipment Lifecycle Capital Planning.
- Improving inventory management and helping you identify scale and bulk buying opportunities.
- Providing the accurate, objective and defensible condition data needed to understand current conditions, prioritize budgets and secure required funding.
Healthcare Capital Planning Resources:
The Increasing Importance of Strategic Capital Planning | Healthcare Financial Management Association
Hospital Planning: Challenges or Opportunities?
Why Capital Planning Matters to Healthcare Organization
Improve Your Mobile Inspections & Rounds for Healthcare
In the healthcare industry, tracking, inspections and surveys are critical to effective operations and inventory management. This includes audits, surveys of asset conditions, and tracking of patients, surgical equipment and even newborns. Deploying robust healthcare asset management technology with mobile inspections can streamline this process and ensure information is complete, compliant and up to date, offering features like:
- Work order requests assigned to them via a mobile device.
- Interactive checklists to help with work order completion.
- Real-time documentation for an increased level of data integrity.
Resources for Healthcare Mobile Inspections:
Modernize with IoT-Powered Environmental Monitoring
Internet of Things (IoT) can solve major pain points in the healthcare industry, providing innovative solutions that allow healthcare professionals to focus on patient care rather than on medical equipment. More specifically, IoT can automate healthcare processes, track vital data, and allow healthcare facilities to monitor inventory, avoid wastage and improve patient care.
Resources for IoT Environmental Monitoring in Healthcare:
Move Toward a Preventive Approach to Maintenance and Equipment Care
Preventive maintenance strategies are key to reduced downtime, lower costs and maximized efficiency. The right preventive maintenance software will allow you to monitor asset health and service critical assets – including air purifiers, compressors, generators, heart monitors, pumps, wheelchairs, and X-ray machines – before they break down. This can ultimately:
- Lead to fewer emergency work orders.
- Increase technician availability.
- Maximize asset uptime.
- Improve patient satisfaction.
- Minimize delays caused by emergency breakdowns and unavailable inventory.
Simplify Compliance with OSHA, TJC and Other Regulatory Bodies
One of the most important advantages of using of a modern CMMS is to achieve and maintain compliance with ever-changing government regulations and to maintain high standards during performance audits required by regulatory agencies, such as The Joint Commission, CMS and DNV GL.
The right healthcare asset management tool can help and:
- Facilitate training required for compliance.
- Make sure that your team is completing all required activities.
- Provide the data you need to create and support a compliant alternative equipment maintenance (AEM) program.
Maximize Patient Safety with Effective Infection Control
Although progress is being made to prevent healthcare-associated infections (HAI), the Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates one in 31 hospital patients acquires at least one HAI -- and the physical environment is the fourth most prevalent cause.
A healthcare asset management system can help by:
- Resolving delays in equipment and service request that can cause patient safety and compliance concerns.
- Providing reliable data that allows for the best medical equipment selection.
- Increasing the percentage of preventive maintenance and service requests.
- Helping maintain sanitization protocols and equipment safety.
- Standardizing waste management procedures and ensuring that waste disposal measured are compliant.
- Allowing you to apply consistent medical equipment cleaning and disinfecting processes.
Connectiv: Transformative CMMS & Asset Management Designed Exclusively for Healthcare
Healthcare organizations need modern asset management systems to effectively maintain physical assets, improve cybersecurity, ensure compliance, cut costs and optimize the patient experience. Connectiv is a modern, cloud-based, silo-busting solution that consolidates your HTM, HFM, IT and more to a single user experience, transforming the patient experience and delivering gain real-time visibility. With Connectiv, you can optimize work productivity and ensuring compliance with changing policies, laws and regulations.
TMS: Healthcare Asset & Maintenance Management
TMS healthcare CMMS can help healthcare organizations achieve regulatory compliance, mitigate risk and increase operational efficiency. This is accomplished through simplified asset management, robust mobile capabilities, effective preventive maintenance functionalities and industry-leading work order tracking.
Data Insights: Actionable Medical Equipment Reliability Information
By compiling asset data from over 1,700 hospitals and 289 million work orders, Accruent Data Insights can resolve these concerns, providing users with key insight into their critical clinical and biomedical equipment, including total cost of ownership, real-world performance, estimated lifespan, and value analysis.
Resources for Data Insights – Actionable Information in Healthcare:
DNV-GL’s TREATING DATA AS ASSETS, A prerequisite for success in a data-driven future
How more effective capital medical equipment negotiations can boost your hospital's bottom line
COVID-19: Impact on Health Supply Chain and Lessons to Be Learnt
Attainia: Medical Equipment Planning Software
Attainia is the leading industry software solution for medical equipment project planning, routine replacement, budgeting and tracking. Accruent is partnering with Attainia to empower healthcare organizations to reduce their total cost of ownership for medical equipment.
Resources for Medical Equipment Lifecycle Management Software:
Lucernex: Lease Administration & Accounting for Healthcare Equipment & Real Estate Leases
Lucernex Lease Administration & Lease Accounting software can help healthcare organizations effectively manage complex equipment and real estate leases by allowing them to:
- Access and organize real-time lease information.
- Remain compliant with regulatory bodies.
- Make cost-effective personnel and asset decisions.
- Achieve FASB, Stark Law and Antikickback compliance on medical equipment and real estate leases.
- Track, manage and increase visibility into their entire real estate and equipment lease portfolio.
VFA: Healthcare Capital Planning of Buildings
Using VFA Facility Condition Assessments, your team can assess the structure and condition of your buildings and systems – including mission-critical tech like HVAC systems – and make recommendations on what to replace and when. This can provide you with the actionable information you need to execute effective capital planning, secure funding and reduce costs.
IoT in Healthcare – Environmental Monitoring
IoT-based environmental monitoring is a proactive measure that can solve major pain points and ensure equipment performance and care integrity. Our environmental monitoring works 24/7, combining the automated collection of temperature and humidly data with real-time notification alerts to allow healthcare facilities to monitor inventory, avoid wastage and improve patient care.
Meridian: Healthcare Engineering Documentation Management
Engineering document management (EDM), in the healthcare industry, can extend equipment life through predictive maintenance, accelerate service requests and repairs, ensure compliance with The Joint Commission and DNV GL regulations and improve labor productivity. EDM can accomplish all of this by consolidating the core asset data needed for preventive maintenance, including operating and maintenance procedures, vendor manuals, and other key information.
Healthcare Engineering Documentation Management Resources:
Equip Maintenance Teams with an Engineering Document Management Solution
4 Ways to Shorten Project Turnaround Time with Engineering Document Management Software
Top 5 benefits of a document management system in healthcare
Department: What Is the Best Healthcare Asset Management Solution for Your Department?
The right healthcare asset management tool can consolidate HTM, HFM, supply chain and IT onto one platform, thereby improving communication between Facilities, Operations and IT teams. It can also provide key benefits for each department.
Healthcare Facilities Management (HFM)
Facilities engineering and plant operations personnel in the healthcare industry can use healthcare asset management tools – like a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) – to effectively manage the maintenance, compliance and lifecycles of their specialized assets throughout the asset lifecycle. This applies not only to corrective maintenance conducted throughout an asset’s useful life, but also asset management during pre-planning of assets and their final disposition, and this increased focus can present huge revenue opportunities.
The right tools can also help users scale their technology and reap the benefits of high-performing programs like preventive maintenance (PM) and alternative equipment maintenance (AEM).
Learn more in our blog 5 Signs it is Time to Replace Your Healthcare Facilities Maintenance Solution.
Healthcare Technology Management (HTM) and IT
Those in healthcare technology management (HTM) departments – like biomedical engineering, clinical engineering and ultimately IT – currently face an uphill battle as the biomedical equipment technician workforce ages out and the technicians that remain are asked to do more with fewer resources. These concerns can be effectively addressed by focusing on the integrity of data across equipment and facilities and:
- Developing effective policies, procedures and checklists across your organization.
- Enabling process standardization, benchmarking, and automation.
- Ensuring corrective and planned maintenance is completed in the most efficient and effective manner.
These efforts can ultimately increase the asset lifecycle, improve technician efficiency and maximizing asset uptime.
Learn more in the blog Developing a 5-Year Business Plan for Your Department.
Finance & Supply Chain
Effectively managing the full asset lifecycle with a medical equipment capital planning software can lead to marked supply chain and capital planning improvements, including:
- Improved patient care through streamlined processes, efficiencies, and cost reduction.
- The ability to quickly generate and update accurate equipment budgets.
- The centralization of processes around capital equipment decisions.
- A reduction in expensive change orders and project completion delays.
- The ability to prioritize and control capital and replacement expenditures for immediate and long-term budgets.
Chief Nursing Officers and Chief Nursing Executives
Chief nursing officers and chief nursing executives can use Connectiv’s request management platform to easily and effectively request anything they might need, whether it’s service on an equipment, help with plumbing, a supply request, or anything in between. This centralized “air traffic control” center will also track performance against delivery, ultimately ensuring that requests are being met, increasing trust between departments and optimizing nurse productivity and their time at the bedside.
Director of Quality/Vice President of Quality
A healthcare organizations director of quality or vice president of quality is most interested in patient satisfaction scores, and high patient satisfaction requires uptime on equipment, effective request management and optimization of anything related to the Environment of Care (EoC). Accruent technologies can help.
Feature: Features of Modern Healthcare Asset Management Systems
Streamlined Asset Management
Control your biomedical device costs, make informed repair vs replace decisions, establish asset hierarchies, track your maintenance history, address cybersecurity threats and improve your uptime with healthcare asset management functionalities.
With customizing reporting and analytics, you can extract the meaningful asset and facility data needed to maintain employee compliance, keep searchable work records and generate the automated audit logs you need to simplify compliance with regulatory, industry, geographic and other audits.
Effective Preventive Maintenance
Using calendars, mobile capabilities, automated triggers, automated reports, integrations and robust reporting capabilities, your team can develop an effective preventive maintenance plan that can ultimately unify your departments, improve your processes and maximize efficiency.
Device-Agnostic Mobile Capabilities
With secure, device-agnostic mobile capabilities, your team can view and manage work orders anytime, thereby increasing efficiency and maximizing asset uptime.
Work Order Tracking
Create, view, prioritize and monitor your equipment work orders to reduce corrective maintenance, increase efficiency and ensure that your biomedical equipment is already ready to go.
A cloud-based SaaS healthcare asset maintenance deployment can increase mobility, maximize scalability, increase security and decrease the need for a robust in-house IT infrastructure.
Many healthcare asset management cybersecurity features can help keep your sensitive information safe, including single sign-on for secure authentication, secure cloud storage and refined access to controls, authorizations and restrictions.