Essentials of an IoT Remote Monitoring Platform: Introduction
By Basant Singhatwadia, VP of IoT Product Strategy, Accruent
This is the first of seven articles in our blog series entitled ‘Essentials of an IoT Remote Monitoring Platform.’
These articles explore what your IoT remote monitoring solution needs to include for your business to be successful as well as best practices for implementation and daily use to help your maintenance teams create the best return for your organization.
When I think about best in class IoT remote monitoring platforms for facilities, I ask myself the following questions:
- Can a single platform monitor all types of devices at a facility?
- How can you help ensure a first-time fix when service provider closes a work order?
- Does device availability affect the performance of an IoT remote monitoring platform?
- How can my team cope with the plethora of alarms that come from each device to find actionable issues?
- Is predictive maintenance real? Is it possible to move from planned preventive maintenance to just in time maintenance?
- Is it possible to monitor facilities across an enterprise where different controls hardware is installed for each device type?
- How should an IoT remote monitoring platform operate with so many differing issues across equipment types and types of problem raised?
- How can my team catch inefficient/overworked equipment causing excessive energy consumption? Do you have to monitor energy meters and individual devices to save energy?
- Is it possible to maintain controller setpoints to corporate standards constantly instead of performing semiannual audits? What is the best way to control these setpoints and schedule changes at an enterprise level?
Throughout this series, I will answer these questions and give direction on implementing a solution that will help your organization save money and resources without costly implementations or floor length reports.
In the next article, we will discuss the importance of hardware agnostic IoT platforms.
Explore the rest of the “Essentials of an IoT Remote Monitoring Platform” series:
About the Author
Basant Singhatwadia is Accruent’s VP of IoT Product Strategy where he is focused on delivering an actionable IoT solution (vx Observe) to our clients solving their real business problems. He leads the Product and Professional Services team for the vx Observe product with deep involvement with the Engineering team. In his diverse professional career spanning 23 years, he has worked on writing firmware for embedded devices, created an offshore software development center of excellence, to now being responsible for a product that remotely monitoring devices at enterprise level. He has been associated with Accruent (a Fortive company) for the past 15 years and has worked on almost all the VX product suites. He has been instrumental in devising a hardware agnostic IoT product strategy across different device types and different industry verticals.